Sunday, August 2, 2009

Fontana Sushi: Where's my boat?

Fontana Sushi has been around in Bay Ridge for a long time but this was my first time trying it out. My brother suggested that we take our dad for father's day. My father doesn't like sushi or raw food but he went with the flow but I think we converted him to a sushi lover! This place is a nice, clean restaurant with booths and privates rooms available for parties. The prices are average, some specialty rolls are a little more expensive then some of the places I usually go. Most people are attracted by their all-you-can-eat special which is a decent price ($21.95/pp) but there are regulations and no sashimi (thinly sliced raw pieces of fish without the rice)! booo....

The menu has English and Chinese. It's obviously owned by Chinese owner...
All-You-Can-Eat special:

We didn't order the all-you-can because I don't think we can eat that much sushi anyway and I rather eat sashimi. So we order special with 20 piece sushi, 36 piece sashimi and any 3 rolls from the regular/specialty selection. As advertised on their menu this special was suppose to be presented on a big wooden boat. The amount of food on this boat is good for 4-5 people. Please note you must pick 3 different rolls. We wanted two spider rolls but they didn't allow it, which I thought was stupid. I really love all their rules and regulations....

The special came with miso soup and salad for everyone: Our lovely "boat" of sushi and sashimi...even though everything looked amazingly great but since it wasn't on a boat kind of sucked. We wanted to impress our parents with the presentation but that didn't happen... If you advertised the special on your menu with pictures of a beautiful boat of sushi then you should give your customer what they see on the menu. ($75)Okay...I'll stop complaining so much about the stupid boat. All the fish was GREAT! Everything was nicely chilled and very fresh.
We also ordered the beef teriyaki ($13): the beef was cooked medium rare, very tender. The sauce was nice and sweet. The broccoli could have used some more cooking because it was kind of hard. The amount of beef they gave us was very little, look like they cut a steak in 1/2 and tried to spread it out on the plate.
The 4 of us ate everything....
I'm not sure if I would come here again because the food wasn't all that great except for the seafood being very fresh. I kind of have a love hate relationship with them already...
- - - -- - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -
Fontana Sushi
9608 3rd Ave
Brooklyn, New York 11209
(718) 759-1100
You can find their menu at menupages.com

1 comment:

Andy said...

You're taking me here. I'm like reading this in the middle of the night and I'm so hungry now. Thanks.